Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Final Blog


The process of creating poetry that a publishing company accepts is a creative but stressful period. Over the last eight weeks of senior spring, I have written six poems about experiences I have encountered by living in the city of Cambridge, Massachusetts. This independent project challenged me to dig into my creative side and pull out scenes and pictures through letters and words that express them.
            Over the last few weeks I have been editing my poetry with Mr. Igoe and Mrs. Moore. This period of editing in the project was the most stressful part. At some points I would get frustrated with some of their comments and not want to change it at all because I was infuriated that they changed my work and critiqued it so harshly. By hearing the edits coming from more experienced people, I understood that they were not trying to ridicule my work, but were trying to make it so the reader felt as if he or she was watching the scene play out. By changing a few poems from third person to first person, I was able to write much more fluidly than I had been before showing actions in the movement that defined the character and the scene I was attempting to display.
            The, “Show, don’t tell,” concept is the most crucial part of the poetry. To capture the audience’s pr reader’s attention, one must vividly display actions of scenes and characters play out right in front of them as if they were watching a movie. Grasping a picture from the words is praised because it grips the reader’s attention. In the poems that I wrote, I showed vivid actions that were necessary to display the thought process of each individual kid. I expressed these actions in such poems as “Conscious Mistakes,” “Course of the Night,” and “Scrap.” The edits were the most angering part of the project.
            Mr. Igoe. In the final presentation asked if I would like to be able to write in a happier state of mind. My answer was no. The reason for this is because my work flows out of my fingertips much easier when I am upset and angered at something or someone. When I attempt to write when I am in a good mood, it was a difficult time for my brain to work well with my hands. They would not connect in the same way they do when I am in a bad mood. After arguments with friends or girls, I would try and write based off of an idea that I had for an experience in Cambridge. This was much easier to write then having a good day on the quad listening to music and hanging out. So no, Mr. Igoe, I do not want to be able to write when I am in a good mod because I am afraid that it will not turn out the way I want it to. This sounds depressing, however when I write poetry that I am proud of, I become in a happier place right after I finish the poem I am writing.
            My skills sets of writing, reading, listening, thinking and speaking have improved in certain ways from using my creative side. My writing ties in with my reading Walt Whitman’s book, Leaves of Grass. By reading these poems by one of the best Poets of all time, I have increased my vocabulary and writing skills dramatically. Learning and understanding his use of commas and grammar marks has benefitted my sentence structure and line breaks in each stanza. By listening to high level poets read and edit my poetry, I understood that if I were to make a descriptive poem I would have to really show and not tell. This was stressed so hard that I have it now branded into my brain. In the last few weeks I have been helping juniors and seniors with their poetry and short stories, ding small grammar edits and larger showing edits, brain storming to make their writings more expressive. Even by teaching these kids the art of poetry has helped me understand my writing better, by what not to write. Thinking comes naturally with a creative project like this. When the creative juices were flowing, the reader can see that my thinking process was fluid in my poems. Reading poetry out loud has been something that came so naturally to me. I am not afraid of speaking my mind in front of a big room or a small class. Thankful for this, I was not afraid to speak in front of teachers or students. Also, the E block bonded quite well and the chemistry of the class was never tampered with since the beginning of the year.
            The blogs were always a problem for me. I never saw the benefits that came out of blogging. A check up every day was worthless to me and I just gave up on doing them. Towards the last three weeks of the project I really was not looking to make everyone else like my poetry. I wanted to like and be proud of my poetry that I produced and by the end of it, I created six poems that I was proud of writing. I started not to care about the grade as much as I should because I was happy with the things that I was writing. The poetry that was being produced by me is some of my best art and I hope that I get positive reinforcement for it.
            Overall, I think that my project was a success. I will look back in a few years on senior spring and realize how I had a lot of fun creating these six poems that I really enjoyed writing. I will also remember how I had so much help along the way, and I will cherish memories and advice that I will take on with me through college and more. Thank you Mr. Igoe for having a great year in English class, I look forward to shaking your hand at graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment